First Published 14, Nov 2020, 9:54 AM
Today is World Diabetes Day. Diabetes patients across the world have been living amid perpetual risk of contracting the coronavirus. Diabetes is a chronic and progressive disease. The disease should be properly managed to avoid complications. Here are 10 things you can do to manage diabetes and avoid complication.
.* Take a healthy diet which is low in calories and high in nutrition.
* Manage your weight as obesity or overweight may cause difficulty in managing diabetes.
* Perform exercise regularly. Exercise improves blood glucose control in type 2 diabetes, reduces cardiovascular risk factors, contributes to weight loss, and improves well-being
* Take fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet.
* Select the ingredients in your diet with a low glycemic index. Most fruits and vegetables, beans, minimally processed grains, pasta, low-fat dairy foods, and nuts.
* Monitor your blood sugar at regular intervals.
* Check your feet for any cuts, swelling, or ulcers.
* Maintain oral hygiene by regularly brushing and flossing teeth.
* Drink enough water through the day.
Doctor’s Tip: Dr Suchismitha says diabetes is a manageable disease and that many patients with proper diet, exercise, scheduled medications, and the correct lifestyle are leading a healthy and joyful life.